Tigard (pronounced TY-gerd) is located in Washington County in the lower Willamette Valley, a region that for thousands of years was the territory of the Atfalati Kalapuya, a band that nineteenth-century settlers called the Tualatin. The Tualatin resided in permanent villages during the winter and spent the remainder of the year roaming the valley to hunt and gather.
The city is named after Wilson M. Tigard, a pioneer from Arkansas who settled in the area in 1852. The city’s history is defined by the growth and development that slowly transformed it from a rural farming community into a modern American suburb.
Within ten years of incorporation, the City of Tigard’s population and geographic size more than doubled. In 2009, the city’s population exceeded 47,000, and there were over 3,400 businesses. Despite this remarkable growth, reminders of Tigard’s past are still visible throughout the city. One of Tigard’s many historic homes is the John Tigard House, a Carpenter Gothic Victorian house built in 1880 by Wilson Tigard’s eldest son. The Tigard Historical Association saved the house from demolition and restored it in the late 1970s; it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Annual family-oriented events include the Festival of Balloons in June and the Family Festival in September.
Search Tigard, OR Homes for Sale
Today's Market Trends for Tigard, OR *
* All data pertains to single-family homes